Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Raqs L.A. and thoughts on zilling

The Raqs L.A. piece is not really in a place where I'm happy with it, both technique-wise and performance-wise, but we're going to do our best. Some of my fears have to do with the fact that I feel a lot of the general population is highly ignorant of gypsy/Romany dance. Our moves are quite authentic; the little 'fusion' that's thrown in there is mainly Suhaila technique and they're small details. I feel like the crowds are so accustomed to the same Egyptian and Oriental stuff over and over that this may push more limits than I'm used to pushing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I am quite curious to see how this will be received. Turkish Romany isn't "pretty" in the same way that Oriental styles are and it has a very different vibe from Baladi and other Middle Eastern folkloric styles. I've thoroughly enjoyed my learning experience with this style, but I have to admit I'm a little nervous as to how it'll be received.

Anyway, I do encourage everyone to attend the festival. More info is here:
http://www.raqsla.com/

Trakya Roman will be going on at 4pm.

Recently I'd been discussing with some dancers how zilling in Oriental dance is so downplayed these days (we're not even zilling in the Romany dance mentioned above, for various reasons). That's definitely something I'd like to improve upon for the future. How sad that I had to learn almost all of my zilling skills through my study of ATS!

No comments: