I've been in the field about 10 years now, all in. Some kind of a student for about ten years, and a performer solo for five years, non-solo for more than that.
Certain dancers might suggest that I went about my learning path the goofy way 'round, as the term goes in snowboarding. I began my path with Tribal bellydance, specifically with Tribal improv. It was during the days when solo Tribal Fusion had just started to break away from group Tribal Improvisation with its own identity and it was all so new and exciting! From Banghra beats to coin-covered costumes and thick, kuchi jewelry, sinewy movements and intense attitudes onstage were the order of the day.
Lately I've been studying a lot more ethnic dance, and re-connecting with the roots of American Cabaret style bellydance, especially happy to have as a local resource the talented and wise Helena Vlahos, among many other inspiring bellydance veterans in Los Angeles. I've gone in a lot of different directions on the path, but recently I've been having lots of "lightbulb" moments about this "reverse engineering" that I've done. Here are some examples:
-Maya and Taxim from ATS carry over into lots of other styles!
-American Tribal Style contains plenty of heritage from actual world dance, including Turkish style, which is one of my favorites
-I recognized the head slides from tribal style bellydance when I did Persian and American Cabaret styles later on
-Though their stylistic execution may vary, hip drops are pretty universal throughout a number of bellydance formats
-The exciting barrel turns I learned in Tribal Fusion style I've seen in Indian dance,Turkish Oriental dance and theatrical bellydance of many varieties
-Many Tribal Fusion artists have kept floorwork, a classic staple of Turkish Bellydance and American Cabaret styles, fresh and important, especially within the renaissance faire context
-The older emphasis in Tribal Fusion bellydance of choosing slow music with darker beats takes instrumental taqasim from Oriental dance styles to a new level
-Group formations in American Tribal Style take inspiration from Ghawazee/Banat Mazin performance
So it may be that I learned some of the ethnic origins of the dance after I learned the moves, but to feel that lightbulb of recognition is incredibly satisfying.
We may be the new generation, but we are still learning about the roots.
![]() |
| photo by Effekt |


No comments:
Post a Comment