Wednesday, May 14, 2014

IrinaXara's Tribal Fest Survival Guide!

Hey everyone! So if you're a bellydancer you may very likely be getting ready to head off to Tribal Fest, one of the biggest dance events of the year located in Sebastopol, CA. Here are some tips and advice to make the most of your time.

Before I break things down by subject matter, I'd like to suggest that everyone join the Tribal Fest group on Facebook in order to stay connected to goings-on, in addition to reading all the official website info.

Then, do yourself a favor and check out the official website's FAQ.

Money. You're probably going to need to budget a few hundred to a few thousand USD for this event, depending on where you're traveling from. The good news is that there are lots of local housing options including house rentals, hotels and timeshare options. Info on this can be found in the FB discussion group. I usually bring $200-$300 in cash with me as well, not just for emergencies but because some vendors will actually provide you with a purchase discount if you pay them cash!

Some subcomments about this:
Pay the asked price. Don't haggle and by all means do not steal from the vendors. This is not a flea market. If you really love that partner of yours you will pay the $20 festival admission. This is not negotiable. Please respect that the prices are set as they are for a reason and that we all deserve to be compensated fairly. This includes admission to any afterparties as well.

"Tipping" (gratuity) is customary in the US. Many of our international brothers and sisters know this, but some don't. Any kind of personal service provided, whether it be henna artistry, hairstyling, food service or a massage takes a sustained physical action and physical effort from the vendor. It's nice to reward them with a few extra dollars proportionately. If you're paying with a credit card and they have a Square reader, it will often automatically give you the option of adding a gratuity. Cash always works, too.

Seriously, don't steal and don't complain just to get a discount. I've heard stories. Money is a stupid shorthand of energy exchange, but we're stuck with it in this society for a while. Also, don't be a sexist creep and don't touch anyone unwantedly. Yeah. Never had a problem with it at TF but I've gotten harassed at other convention-type events before, so it bears repeating.

Other stuff:
Time. It will likely need to be budgeted. The social atmosphere at TF can cause considerable delays in getting from one place to another. Don't forget where you need to be and when. I usually print out a full schedule for myself from a spreadsheet in Excel (and trust me, I'm not typically that organized.)

Supplies. Decide how much food you want to bring with you. The timeshare I stay in fortunately has a kitchen, so I like to cook my daytime meals at TF to save money. Snacks, energy bars and dried fruit are often useful during daytimes. I usually bring a case of plastic water bottles or several refillable water containers as well. Weather can vary in Sebastopol but the past few years I've been there have been sunny and towards the 80s F. So you might want to consider a head covering and sunblock as well, and then some extra layers for the cooler evenings. And this is a biggie, I always forget this one. Check to see whether the place you're staying at has a pool. I always forget my swimsuit! And of course, bring comfortable clothes in which you can dance. If you're performing, you may want to bring a costume, but there are also enough vendors at TF that you can easily outfit yourself alternatively.

Be supportive. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I can't tell you how many catty and judgmental comments I have heard sitting in the audience. If you don't understand something, ask! You may make a new friend. You may see genres and nationalities and gender expressions you are not used to at this festival. Reaching out will make things more pleasant for everyone than being closed-minded or making assumptions.

Being supportive also includes supporting workshops and vendors if you have the means, or offering yourself up for volunteerism.

Take a damn workshop. Or five or ten. Ok, I've heard that more than five can be overwhelming, but it depends on how you spread them out. I always PRIORITIZE treating TF as a learning experience. I do not go there just to be seen or model my favorite Geisha Moth pants, though that can be fun. Get all you can out of this if you are serious about your dance. Ask the instructors questions.

No saving seats at the festival. Seriously. Read the website. Festival policy. Don't be a jerk.

It's not that big a deal. My first TF back in 2007, I felt like everyone at TF was a celebrity. I felt hugely overwhelmed. Remember that it's just bellydance. Yes, there is an enormous amount of talent at TF but those people didn't get to that place overnight. It takes hard work and diligence. If you lose it on stage, there will be other opportunities. I learn more from my wildly awful mistakes than I do from my successes, as a general rule.

Remember to eat, hydrate and bathe. May sound silly but it's valid.

Your first time can be overwhelming. Don't be ashamed to take some time away from the crowds. You might also not be capable of Doing All The Things your first time around.

You do not need to bring your damn entourage everywhere and especially keep them out of the dressing room. Mmmhmm I said it.

And most of all...
HAVE FUN!!! If you get overwhelmed like me, make sure that you take the time that you need to facilitate an enjoyable experience for yourself.

No comments: