Wednesday, January 28, 2009

dance reflections 1-music

So sometime soon I'd love to update about the Big Sur trip. I took many beautiful pics and it seems easier to post pics on here as opposed to some of the other sites I'm on. Anyway...

One of my biggest challenges with choreographing a dance is the music. When it comes to the dance community I'm involved in, it feels like music gets dated so quickly. For the upcoming Gothla, neither of the two (or possibly 3) tracks I am splicing are brand new songs. I think the newest of them was released in 2004. I feel that in this dance community, using new and fresh creations is crucial. It helps one showcase the recent work of a relevant artist. For that reason, I always have to be on the lookout for music to dance to. One of my goals if I ever do more solos is to use more recent and fresh music, hopefully by up-and-coming artists. This is as much a promotional venture for a new artist as it is for the dancer.

In the future, I would love to have friends compose some pieces for me to dance to. In the traditional Middle Eastern dance community, many dancers have the opportunity to perform with live musicians and it is an amazing (and quite different) experience.

No comments: