Tuesday, June 23, 2009

upcoming gig at Moun of Tunis!

Well, it looks like I am performing at the September Moun of Tunis Bellydance showcase, graciously hosted by Princess Farhana. It's going to be a Romanian Romany fusion piece with some modern and fusion bellydance thrown in. I hope to contribute part of my own cultural background and something that Middle Eastern dance spectators may not necessarily have seen yet. I am excited, and have already choreographed a little, and plan to add more after Ozgen's workshop as well.

To me it is very important to make dance connections between cultures that are similar, but who have traditionally been at odds or discriminated against. I think with these kinds of fusions and connections, we can (carefully and responsibly) show that these cultures are not so removed from each other in style and movement, and that this kind of dance is also relevant to modern movement vocabulary as well.

Though I am not Romany myself, my family is "white" Romanian and I actually learned about discrimination against the Romany from some of their own racist statements that I heard when I was young. I hope that in the future I can work with Saz'rah and others to raise Romany awareness along with preservation of Eastern European, Balkan and Turkish folkdance.

No comments: