Wednesday, June 10, 2009

the usual.

I need some suggestions on convincing my mother that bellydance isn't as "suggestive" (that is her term) as she seems to think it is. She still doesn't understand the appeal of me performing it and why I enjoy it. My mom is pretty conservative, and I think she is wary of public dancing, even at festivals. She basically equates restaurant/coffee shop performing to stripping.

I'm not really sure how to argue against her opinion. She seems like she might be swayed, but I don't know.

As far as I know, American Cabaret bellydance *did* evolve alongside burlesque, but the two were never exactly the same. Am I right?


What kind of approach do you think I should take to this? Should I try to claim that no, it isn't suggestive at all? Or yes, it is an ancient way of glorifying the female body. How do I substantiate the argument?

No comments: